The course covers the fundamentals of digital image processing. Based on this the students should be able to identify standard problems in image processing to develop individual solutions for given problems and to implement image processing algorithms for use in the experimental fields of modern optics.
The main areas covered by the lecture are:
- Digital image fundamentals (Image Sensing and Acquisition, Image Sampling and Quantization)
- Image Enhancement in the Spatial Domain (Basic Gray Level Transformations, Histogram Processing, Spatial Filtering)
- Image Enhancement in the Frequency Domain (Introduction to the Fourier-Transform and the Frequency Domain, Frequency Domain Filtering, Homomorphic Filtering)
- Image Restoration (Noise Models, Inverse Filtering, Geometric Distortion)
- Color Image Processing Image Segmentation (Detection of Discontinuities, Edge Linking and Boundary Detection, Thresholding, Region-Based Segmentation)
- Representation and Description Applications